THE AMATEUR CHOP OFF (ACO)
This is the competition where regular guys get to see what it is like to build a chopper to a fixed schedule. It looks simple on television, mock-up, fabrication, send it out to paint and assemble it on the eve of the show.
Except it never works out that way in real life. Bills have to be paid, things happen, the wife wants shoes instead of you buying a new tire, you have no heat in the shed and it’s 40 below out there in the Polar Vortex. You can catch the flu and get way behind or maybe your work picks up and you’re doing a bunch of overtime and no time for the project!
Anything can and will happen to these poor bastards trying to get these chops together for the Smoke Out, the least you can do is get down there and check out what they ended up with.
Englishman will pick builders from random applications mailed into The Horse Magazine, as per the printed instruction in the magazine. Ten are chosen and we don’t know how many will make it, we usually lose a couple because they couldn’t finish for some reason. Celebrity guest judges select the winner.
- No ‘pro’ shops are allowed to compete, in other words you cannot do this for a living.
- This must be a “new” project, so no “already been building for six months’ stories.”
- Build whatever you want, no restrictions.
- Entrant must show up with his bike at the appointed time at the Pine Inn on the Saturday morning of Smoke Out.
- At that time, the bike must start, and it must make it the ten miles or so to the Smoke Out grounds under its own power.
- Bikes will remain on display at the Smoke Out until after judging (usually around noon).
The winners for the Bike Show and Amateur Chop Off are announced later that day (Saturday) on the main stage. Check the Smoke Out Schedule at the event that Hammer and Englishman will announce the winners.
The Magazine Connection
The winning bike will be shot for a full spread in the magazine. We can’t promise the cover but we’re willing to try. In the end, everybody wins, they all have a brand new chopper, and we get to see them, not too shabby!
THE PRO CHOP OFF (PCO)
Competitors are chosen by Hammer. It is not easy working in the shop and getting the articles in on time, however, it usually turns out to be a great experience and every year we are working to make it better. The winner of the Pro Chop Off will have their bike on the cover of The HORSE Magazine.
This year’s invite builders are:
- Austin Andrella of Austin Martin Originals
- Bill Schalk from Tried and True Garage
- Bobby Seeger from Indian Larry Legacy
- Lucas Joyner from The Factory Metal Works
The four Pro Chop Off bikes and builders will be at the Smoke Out Pre-Party at the Suck Bang Blow in Murrells Inlet, SC; Thursday night June 15, 2017.
Everyone is invited to the party. THIS IS A GREAT PARTY. Friday morning the builders ride their creations to the Smoke Out.